Fortnite – a battle royal game, home of more than 1 million concurrent players. With the games popularity it is common to ask if the game is available in Mac. While the game does not natively support Mac you can still play it with your Mac device including M1 and M2 chips.
If you’re a Mac user and wondering how to dive into the action. The good news is that you can play Fortnite with your Mac device but you will face significant challenges on your gameplay and you should consider these if you want to continue playing it or not. Let’s break it down.
Getting Fortnite With Your Mac
Fortnite, the game that has taken the world by storm, is available for macOS. To get started:
- Epic Games Launcher: The primary way to get Fortnite on your Mac is through the Epic Games Launcher. Before you proceed, make sure to check the system requirements on Epic Games’ official site.
- Installation Steps:
- Head over to the Epic Games Store and download the Epic Games Launcher.
- Once installed, open the launcher and type “Fortnite” in the Search Store bar.
- Click on ‘Download‘. Note that the game will require about 95GB of your internal storage, even if the actual game data is less.
- After the download is complete, you can launch Fortnite from the Quick Launch menu on the left.
Here’s Why It Is Not Recommended to Play Fortnite in Mac
While you can technically download and play Fortnite on your Mac, the experience might not be as smooth as you’d hope:
- Performance Issues: Especially if you’re using the base model MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM, you might encounter some performance hitches.
- Epic Games vs. Apple: Due to the ongoing legal tussle between Epic Games and Apple, the macOS version of Fortnite hasn’t been updated. This means:
- No crossplay support. Meaning you cannot play with your friends that are using a different device from Mac. You can see them goes online, but unless they’re also on a Mac, you can’t join their games.
- Access to V-Bucks and the Item Shop is blocked. So, say goodbye to buying new skins, emotes, and other in-game items. If you’ve made purchases on another device with a newer Fortnite version, those won’t appear in your Mac inventory either.
- Storage: The game’s size is a concern. While the download is around 45 GB, the installation takes up a massive 96 GB. So, if storage is a premium on your Mac, this might be a deal-breaker.
Alternative Ways to Play
Using the above tricks will probably hinder you from playing it with your Mac, worry not as here are more ways to play it. If you’re determined to play the latest Fortnite seasons on your Mac, there are workarounds:
- Cloud Gaming Platforms: Services like Boosteroid, XCloud, and GeForce Now allow you to stream Fortnite, bypassing the compatibility issues.
This means you don’t have to download the game, saving you precious storage. However, ensure you have a stable internet connection to avoid lags and reduced image quality.
- Boot Camp: If you have an Intel-based Mac, you can use the Boot Camp method. However, this won’t work for Apple Silicon machines.
While it’s possible to play Fortnite on a Mac, the experience might not be optimal due to various challenges. It’s a tough spot for gamers who just want to enjoy some battle royale action. We can only hope that Epic Games and Apple find a middle ground soon. Until then, weigh your options and choose the best way to get your game on. Happy gaming! 🎮