Pokémon Go home of more than 70 million monthly active trainers around the globe are constantly on the hunt for the next big catch. But as 2023 unfolds, it’s not just about catching them all—it’s about catching the rarest of them all. From elusive shadows lurking in the corners of the world to mythical creatures that only a few have had the privilege to encounter, the quest for rarity has never been more intense.
This article will provide you list of the top 10 rarest pokemons in this game, start from the rare to the most rare. As the game’s ecosystem continues to expand, so does the list of hard-to-find Pokémon that every trainer dreams of adding to their collection.
Lets unviel the Top 10 Rarest Pokémon of 2023, a list that promises to ignite the passion of both seasoned trainers and newcomers alike. Ready your Poké Balls and set forth on an adventure like no other!”
While you are here you might be interested on how to catch a komala in Pokemon Go and the shiny Poochyena. Also, if you are looking for ways on how to get free pokecoins in this is the perfect guide for you.
First on this list, Mesprit is a region-exclusive Psychic-type Legendary Pokémon from Sinnoh region. Unlike many Pokémon, Mesprit doesn’t have any evolutionary stages. As the “Emotion Pokémon,” it stands alongside Uxie and Azelf in the esteemed Lake Guardians group. Legend has it that Mesprit rests deep within a lake, and at times, its spirit can be seen soaring over the water’s surface.
How rare is Mesprit in Pokémon Go?
Mesprit was released in April 29th, 2019, its a regional Legendary Pokémon, making it quite rare. It is exclusively available in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India. Furthermore, its shiny form was introduced on September 14th, 2021, adding to its rarity and desirability among trainers.
How to get Mesprit in Pokémon Go?
To acquire Mesprit in Pokémon Go, trainers have several options:
- Acquire Mesprit and other psychic-type legendary pokemon in Sinnoh region like Uxie and Azelf in the wild. Mesprit has been available in the wild since April 29th, 2019, with a maximum CP of 2,621, which can go up to 2,840 when weather boosted.
- Participate in five-star raids when Mesprit is featured. Mesprit appears in Tier 5 Raid Battles. It has been featured in various events, such as the latest one on June 1 – 15, 2023.
- Trading: For trainers in regions where Mesprit is not natively available, trading with another player who has Mesprit is the only option.
Azelf, known as the “Being of Willpower,” is a Psychic-type Pokémon just like Mesprit, originating from the Sinnoh region. This enigmatic entity is one of the Legendary Lake Guardians, representing willpower among its counterparts, Mesprit and Uxie. Legends depict Azelf as a being with the power to maintain balance in the world, and its presence in Pokémon Go has captivated trainers worldwide.
How rare is Azelf in Pokémon Go?
In Pokémon Go, Azelf is available through specific Five-Star Raids. However, its availability is region-specific. As of its most recent appearance in Five-Star Raids from June 1, 2023, to June 15, 2023, Azelf is exclusive to The Americas and Greenland.
How to get Azelf in Pokémon Go?
To capture this elusive Pokémon, trainers should:
- Trainers should engage in Five-Star Raids during its appearance windows. Given its regional exclusivity to The Americas and Greenland, this is the primary method for most trainers in these regions.
- Collaborate with the Pokémon Go community. Players often share tips, coordinate Raid parties, and even trade Pokémon. This interaction can be invaluable for those seeking Azelf.
- Connect with International Players. For trainers outside The Americas and Greenland, making friends with players from these regions can open up trading opportunities to acquire Azelf.
Capturing Azelf is not just about adding another Pokémon to the Pokédex; it’s a testament to a trainer’s dedication, strategy, and collaborative spirit.
Uxie, often referred to as the “Knowledge Pokémon,” is a Psychic-type Pokémon that hails from the Sinnoh region just like Mesprit and Azelf. As one of the esteemed Legendary Lake Guardians, Uxie stands as a symbol of knowledge, with legends attributing the emergence of Uxie to granting humans the intelligence to improve their quality of life.
How rare is Uxie in Pokémon Go?
Uxie’s presence in Pokémon Go is marked by its regional exclusivity. Introduced on April 29th, 2019, Uxie is available only in the Asia-Pacific region. Adding to its allure, the shiny form of Uxie was released on September 14th, 2021. This regional limitation makes Uxie a prized catch for trainers outside its designated spawn areas.
How to get Uxie in Pokémon Go?
For trainers eager to capture Uxie, here are some strategies:
- Trainers should engage in Five-Star Raids during its appearance windows. Given its regional exclusivity to the Asia-Pacific region, this is the primary method for trainers in these areas.
- Trade with Fellow Trainers. If you’re located outside the Asia-Pacific region or missed out on Uxie during its Raid appearances, trading with a fellow trainer who has Uxie is a viable option. Building a network of international friends can be beneficial for such trades.
- Connect with International Players. Building friendships with players from the Asia-Pacific region can open up trading opportunities, allowing trainers from other regions to add Uxie to their collection.
#8 Pikachu Libre
Pikachu Libre is a unique variation of the iconic Pikachu, donning a luchador-themed outfit. Unlike the standard Pikachu, Pikachu Libre is not found in the wild but is obtained through a specific method in Pokémon Go. This special Pikachu is recognized for its wrestling-themed costume and is a testament to the game’s diverse range of Pikachu outfits.
How rare is Pikachu Libre in Pokémon Go?
Pikachu Libre is one of the more challenging Pokémon to obtain in Pokémon Go, making it quite rare. It’s not a Pokémon you’ll stumble upon during your regular adventures. Instead, it’s a reward for trainers who excel in the Battle League PvP mode. Achieving the highest rank in the Battle League, especially the Legend status, is a prerequisite for a chance to encounter Pikachu Libre. Moreover, while Pikachu Libre has a shiny variant, it was temporarily unavailable as of the recent seasons, adding to its rarity.
How to get Pikachu Libre in Pokémon Go?
To acquire Pikachu Libre in Pokémon Go, trainers must:
- Battle League PvP Mode: It’s not as straightforward as winning a few matches. Trainers need to progress through the ranks, earning rewards like stardust, rare candies, and exclusive Pokémon encounters. Pikachu Libre is one such exclusive reward. However, to encounter Pikachu Libre, trainers must achieve Legend status and hit the max rank of 25. This requires a significant number of wins and dedication to the game.
- Special Events: Occasionally, Pokémon Go introduces special events or seasons where the criteria to obtain Pikachu Libre might be different. For instance, during certain interim seasons, Pikachu Libre was guaranteed as the first encounter once trainers hit Rank 20 and secured a win.
- Trading: For trainers aiming to get Pikachu Libre, it’s essential to stay updated with the game’s events and changes to the Battle League mechanics.
Vivillon, introduced to Pokémon GO on December 19, 2022, is known for its diverse patterns, which are influenced by the climate of their habitat. In Pokémon GO, there are 18 different patterns of Vivillon that have been discovered. Vivillon’s patterns are unique because they are determined by the region from which a player collects postcards in the game.
How rare is Vivillon in Pokémon Go?
The rarity of Vivillon in Pokémon GO isn’t just about the Pokémon itself, but more about the distinct patterns it can have. Each of these patterns corresponds to a particular part of the world. To truly “catch ’em all,” trainers need to gather postcards from all 18 regions. Some patterns, like the Fancy and Pokéball designs, are only available during special events, making them especially sought after.
How to get Vivillon in Pokémon Go?
If you’re looking to add Vivillon to your collection, here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Collect Regional Postcards: As you gather postcards from various parts of the world, you’ll progress on the Vivillon Collector medal. This medal is a handy tool to track which patterns you’ve unlocked. Each postcard you pin contributes to a sub-medal linked to that specific region.
- Encounter Scatterbug: As you progress with your sub-medals, you’ll get chances to encounter Scatterbug, the pre-evolved form of Vivillon. For example, after securing 3 postcards from a specific region, you’ll get a Scatterbug encounter from that area. As you continue, you’ll need 9, then 15 postcards from the same region for further encounters.
- Evolve to Vivillon: When you check a Scatterbug’s details, it’ll indicate which Vivillon pattern it’ll turn into. To evolve a Scatterbug into Vivillon, you’ll need 125 candies.
For those aiming to complete their Vivillon pattern collection, trading is the key. Building friendships with trainers from different parts of the world or joining communities like the /r/VivillonCollectors subreddit can significantly boost your chances of securing all the patterns.
Noibat is a Flying & Dragon-type Pokémon originating from the Kalos region. Recognized as the “Sound Wave Pokémon,” Noibat is known to reside in pitch-black caves. Its enormous ears have the capability to emit ultrasonic waves of up to 200,000 hertz. This Pokémon is a part of a two-member family, evolving into Noivern when fed 400 candies.
How rare is Noibat in Pokémon Go?
Noibat was introduced to Pokémon GO during the Kalos Celebration Event on December 2nd, 2020. Its shiny form was later released at the start of Halloween 2022 on October 20th, 2022. Before the Season of Legends, Noibat had a base catch rate of 30% and a flee rate of 10%, making it a challenge for trainers to capture.
How to get Noibat in Pokémon Go?
To acquire Noibat in Pokémon Go, trainers have several options:
- Encounter Noibat in the wild, especially during specific events like the Noxious Swamp event in August 2023 or the Twinkling Fantasy event in January 2023.
- Hatch Noibat from eggs. It was previously available in 10-km eggs from December 2, 2020, to March 1, 2023, and in 7-km eggs during specific events like Halloween 2022.
- Participate in Raid Battles where Noibat is featured. It has appeared in Tier 4 Raid Battles.
- Complete specific research tasks that reward Noibat encounters. For instance, during the February 2023 Community Day, trainers could catch 3 Noibat as a part of the event’s Field Research.
For trainers aiming to evolve Noibat into Noivern, they would need to collect 400 candies, which can be obtained through walking with Noibat as a buddy, capturing more Noibat, or using rare candies.
#5 Galarian Legendary Birds
Introduced to Pokémon GO on July 28, 2022, the Galarian forms of the Legendary Birds, namely Galarian Zapdos, Galarian Articuno, and Galarian Moltres, have added a fresh twist to the game. Unlike their original Kantonian counterparts, these birds have distinct typings and appearances. They are known for their vibrant color schemes and unique abilities.
How rare are the Galarian Legendary Birds in Pokémon Go?
The Galarian Legendary Birds are not as common as other Pokémon in the game. While they are available worldwide, they don’t simply appear on the nearby list. Instead, trainers have to use a special item called the Daily Adventure Incense to have a chance at encountering them. This incense works for only 15 minutes and requires trainers to move; otherwise, no Pokémon will spawn. Given that the Daily Adventure Incense can only be used once a day and doesn’t stack, trainers have a limited opportunity each day to find these birds.
How to get the Galarian Legendary Birds in Pokémon Go?
To acquire the Galarian Legendary Birds; trainers should:
- Use the Daily Adventure Incense and ensure they keep moving for the entire 15-minute duration. The incense is sensitive to movement, and stopping might reduce the chances of Pokémon spawns.
- Catch all Pokémon that appear during the incense’s effect. This increases the chances of other Pokémon, including the Galarian Birds, to spawn.
- Be prepared for a challenging catch. According to reports, the Galarian Birds have a base catch rate of 0.3% and a flee rate of 90%. Using Ultra Balls and Golden Razz Berries, combined with excellent curveball throws, will maximize the chances of a successful catch.
Unown, often referred to as the “Symbol Pokémon,” is an enigmatic Psychic-type Pokémon that has intrigued and challenged trainers since its introduction. Unlike the majority of Pokémon species, Unown doesn’t evolve or transform into another form. Instead, it boasts 26 distinct shapes, each representing a letter from A to Z. Delving into the lore, Unown is believed to possess the unique ability to influence reality based on the shapes it assumes, making it a subject of numerous in-game myths and legends.
How rare is Unown in Pokémon Go?
Unown was introduced to Pokémon Go and has since become one of the rarest Pokémon in the game. Capturing all 26 forms of Unown is a challenging task for trainers. While Unown does make appearances during special events, such as Go Fest, where players had the chance to catch specific forms like Unown F and Unown G, outside of these events, the chances of encountering an Unown are exceedingly low.
How to get Unown in Pokémon Go?
To acquire Unown in Pokémon Go, trainers have several options:
- Keep an eye out for special events where specific Unown forms might be more common. For instance, during the Go Fest event, players had the opportunity to catch Unown F and Unown G.
- In the wild, Unown is a rare spawn, and finding one can be a matter of luck and persistence. Trainers are advised to be on the lookout, especially during events that might increase its spawn rate.
- Trading with another player who has a specific Unown form that you’re missing is also an option. Given its rarity, some trainers might be willing to trade their Unown for other rare Pokémon or items.
Zarude, often termed the “Rogue Monkey Pokémon,” is a Dark/Grass-type Mythical Pokémon. Originally introduced in Pokémon Sword and Shield, Zarude made its debut in Pokémon Go back in 2021. This unique Pokémon, with its vine-swinging abilities and fierce demeanor, has captured the attention of trainers worldwide.
How rare is Zarude in Pokémon Go?
Zarude’s introduction to Pokémon Go was marked by its rarity. Upon its debut in 2021, trainers could only acquire Zarude if they participated in and successfully completed the “Search for Zarude!” special research assignments. This event consisted of five steps, culminating in a Zarude encounter for those who managed to finish all the tasks. Since then, there have been no reported wild encounters with Zarude, and it hasn’t been featured in any subsequent events. This makes Zarude a particularly elusive catch for many trainers.
How to get Zarude in Pokémon Go?
For those trainers who missed out on the 2021 event, acquiring Zarude can be a bit challenging:
- Stay Updated on Events: Keep an eye on Pokémon Go events. While Zarude hasn’t been featured since its introduction, there’s always a possibility of its return in future events.
- Trading: Given the rarity of Zarude, trading remains a viable option. However, since trainers can only possess one Zarude, convincing someone to part with theirs might be a tall order. Building strong relationships within the Pokémon Go community can increase the chances of such trades.
Zarude’s presence in Pokémon Go is a testament to its allure and the challenges it presents to trainers, both in capturing it and utilizing it in battles.
Hoopa, recognized as the “Mischief Pokémon,” is a Psychic/Ghost-type Mythical Pokémon originating from the Kalos region. Unique in its nature, Hoopa possesses two distinct forms: Confined and Unbound. The Unbound form, in particular, shifts its typing to Psychic/Dark. Legends surrounding Hoopa speak of its ability to use its rings to seize anything it desires, and its presence in Pokémon Go has stirred both excitement and curiosity among trainers.
How rare is Hoopa in Pokémon Go?
Hoopa’s introduction in Pokémon Go was marked by special events. Hoopa Confined was released during the “Hoopa’s Arrival” event on September 5th, 2021. Following this, the Unbound form of Hoopa was introduced during the “Mischief Unbound” event on November 26th, 2021. Given its Mythical status and the specificity of these events, Hoopa remains a rare and sought-after Pokémon in the game.
How to get Hoopa in Pokémon Go?
Capturing Hoopa requires trainers to be on their toes:
- Participate in Special Research. Hoopa was initially available through the “Search for Hoopa!” special research assignments. Trainers had to complete a series of tasks to encounter and catch this elusive Pokémon.
- Stay Updated on Events. Hoopa’s availability is closely tied to specific events. Keeping an eye on Pokémon Go announcements can provide trainers with opportunities to encounter Hoopa again.
- Trading – While Hoopa itself cannot be traded, trainers can collaborate with others to complete tasks or challenges that might lead to a Hoopa encounter.
And the rarest Pokemon of them all – the mythical pokemon Keldeo, known as the “Colt Pokémon,” is a unique Water/Fighting-type Mythical Pokémon from the Unova region. With its majestic appearance and captivating lore, Keldeo stands out in the Pokémon universe. It has two distinct forms: the Ordinary Forme and the Resolute Forme. Alongside Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion, Keldeo is a member of the Swords of Justice, a group of legendary Pokémon with a shared narrative.
How rare is Keldeo in Pokémon Go?
Keldeo is considered the rarest Pokémon in Pokémon Go. Its Ordinary Forme was introduced to the game through the “Something Extraordinary” Special Research on December 10th, 2022. Since its introduction, acquiring Keldeo has been a challenge for many trainers due to its limited availability and the specific tasks required to encounter it. The Resolute Forme of Keldeo has not been released yet, further adding to its allure and rarity.
How to get Keldeo in Pokémon Go?
Capturing Keldeo requires dedication and strategy:
- Special Research: The primary method to acquire Keldeo’s Ordinary Forme is by completing the “Something Extraordinary” Special Research tasks. This research consists of multiple stages, with each stage offering unique challenges and rewards.
- Stay Updated on Events: Niantic might reintroduce Keldeo in future events or special researches. Regularly checking Pokémon Go announcements can provide trainers with opportunities to encounter this elusive Pokémon.
- Trading: While Keldeo itself cannot be traded, being active in the Pokémon Go community can provide insights and tips on how to complete tasks or challenges that lead to a Keldeo encounter.
- Owning a Keldeo in Pokémon Go is a testament to a trainer’s dedication, perseverance, and strategic gameplay.
How to Increase Your Chances of Getting Rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go
Catching rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go is a thrilling experience for every trainer. These elusive creatures not only boost your Pokédex but also offer a sense of achievement. Here are some strategies to enhance your chances of encountering and capturing these prized Pokémon:
- Location Matters: The environment you’re in can influence the Pokémon that appear. If you’re by the sea, for instance, you’re more likely to encounter rare water-type Pokémon than someone in a city.
- Play Regularly: The frequency of your gameplay can affect your chances. Regular players often find rarer Pokémon more frequently due to having a higher Trainer Level. As your Trainer Level increases, the variety and rarity of Pokémon you encounter also improve.
- Participate in In-Game Events: Pokémon Go often hosts events where certain rare Pokémon become more common. Staying updated with these events and participating actively can increase your chances of capturing rare Pokémon.
- Egg Hatching: Some of the rarest Pokémon, like Larvesta, can be obtained from eggs. However, they might sit on the highest rarity tier, making them hard to hatch. It’s essential to keep incubating and hatching eggs to increase your chances.
- Research Breakthroughs: Engage in special research tasks. Completing these tasks can lead to encounters with specific rare Pokémon. For instance, Galarian Mr. Mime was one of the Pokémon encounters you could earn from Research Breakthroughs during certain seasons.
- Community Days: Pokémon Go’s Community Days often feature a specific Pokémon that becomes widely available for a limited time. This is a golden opportunity to catch that Pokémon and its evolved forms.
- Use Items Strategically: Items like Incense and Lures can attract Pokémon to your location. Using these during events or in specific biomes can increase the chances of encountering rare Pokémon.
Remember, patience and persistence are key. While these strategies can increase your chances, there’s always an element of luck in encountering and capturing rare Pokémon.