Charcoal is an essential resource in Minecraft, used for crafting torches and furnaces, and as a fuel source for smelting. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to light up your surroundings or cook something but can’t find coal, now, like in real world a charcoal becomes a handy alternative. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to make charcoal in Minecraft.
While you are here you might want to check out these Futuristic Minecraft Building Ideas that was re-imagined with AI.
Step 1: Gather Wood Logs
Use your hands or an axe to chop down any type of tree you see around (e.g., Oak, Birch, Spruce, etc.) to obtain wood logs. Wood are abountant resource in the game as you always see them everywhere.
Tip: Using an axe will speed up the process. Using Netherite Axe will be the quickest way.
Step 2: Craft a Crafting Table
- Open your inventory (press E).
- Place wood logs in the crafting area to create wooden planks.
- Use 4 wooden planks to craft a crafting table.
Step 3: Craft a Furnace
Objective: Craft a furnace using cobblestones.
- Mine cobblestone using a pickaxe. Collestone are basic resource in minecraft and can be easily mine in Mountains, Cliffs, Caves and Undergrounds.
- Open the crafting table and place 8 cobblestones, leaving the center square empty, to craft a furnace.
Step 4: Obtain More Wood Logs
Instructions: Chop down more trees to get wood logs.
Step 5: Create Charcoal
Use the furnace to create charcoal.
Here’s a detailed walkthrough of how to craft charcoal using a furnace:
- Place the furnace on the ground and right-click to open it. Note that the area around the furnace should be secure to avoid any unexpected surprises from mobs!
- Place wood logs in the top slot (ingredient slot) of the furnace.
- Place any fuel (wood planks, sticks, etc.) in the bottom slot (fuel slot) of the furnace.
Once the smelting process is complete, move the charcoal to your inventory.
Step 6: Craft Torches (Optional)
Use charcoal to create torches.
- Open the crafting table.
- Place charcoal in the center slot.
- Place a stick below the charcoal.
- Move the torches to your inventory.
Step 7: Use Charcoal as Fuel (Optional)
Utilize charcoal as a fuel source.
Place charcoal in the fuel slot of the furnace whenever you need to smelt or cook items.
- For Preserving Charcoal: Use charcoal efficiently as it’s a crucial resource throughout your minecraft gameplay, especially in the early stages of your survival mode.
- For Safe Mining: When playing Survival mode always make sure to carry torches (made from charcoal) while mining to light up dark areas and prevent hostile mobs from spawning.
- For Efficient Smelting: One piece of charcoal can smelt/cook 8 items, so use it efficiently.
Why You Need Charcoal in Minecraft?
As I mentioned above charcoal is a basic resource yet it holds an effective neccessity to keep surviving the game. Here are some of the most usage of charcoal in minecraft.
- As a fuel source: Using charcoal as a fuel source can smelt 8 items by only using 1 piece of charcoal.
- Crafting Campfires: Craft Soul Torches as they are used to repel pigilins and emit a lower light level, which prevents snow and ice from melting nearby.
Charcoal is a basic but an important resource in Minecraft it could be a lifesaver in many scenarios on your gameplay, especially when coal is scarce. By following this guide, you can ensure a steady supply of charcoal to help you level up your gaming experience. Happy crafting!